- Age. Age is the greatest known risk factor for Alzheimer’s and dementia. Generally as you get older you are more likely to develop dementia.
- Genetics. If you have a family history of dementia, you are more likely to develop it yourself.
- Cardiovascular risk. Blood vessel changes in the brain are linked to vascular dementia, a type of dementia which occurs after a stroke.
- Physical Exercise. Regular physical exercise may reduce risk of dementia by increasing blood and oxygen flow to the brain.
- Diet. Current research suggests that eating a heart healthy diet such as the Mediterranean diet may help protect the brain.
For more information on dementia risk, visit alz.org.
At Brooking Park we offer top-of-the-line memory care and adult day memory care to assist your family in difficult times. For more information, give us a call at (314) 576-5545.